The William and Ellen Vinten Trust
The William and Ellen Vinten Trust has several aims but its principal activity is to pursue initiatives which increase the interest of school and college students in the Bury St Edmunds area in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects. The goal is to increase the numbers of students who might consider careers in the engineering disciplines and to improve their levels of attainment.
With this aim in mind, the Trust currently offers the following:
- Help to individual students wishing to access courses, competitions and other activities, which are aimed at providing excellence in STEM subjects
- The appointment of Vinten Ambassadors - Year 12/13 students who assist the promotion of the aims of the Trust
- Vinten Bursaries for students who are studying engineering at degree level - a bursary of £1500 a year for the duration of the course is awarded to one student each year
- 'The Bury St Edmunds Engineering Experience' - a bi-annual residential engineering course open to Year 9 and Year 10 students
- Financial support for students attending Smallpeice Trust residential courses. The Smallpeice Trust provides exciting programmes for students interested in STEM subjects www.smallpeicetrust.org.uk/