24 July 2019
As the academic year draws to a close, I reflect, once again, on the countless and diverse successes which our community has enjoyed. I am always amazed and humbled by the sheer talent and determination of our students. It is impossible to mention the myriad of occasions this year where I have had the privilege and pleasure of recognising and congratulating their accomplishments.
However, a few highlights, which illustrate our enormous range of activities and achievements this year, would undoubtedly include:
- our Sixth Form Boys Football Team winning the U18 Suffolk County Schools FA Cup Final;
- successful exchange visits with Agrada Familia School in Burgos, North West Spain and Jiading School in Shanghai, China;
- being awarded National Citizenship Service Champion School;
- over £5,000 raised by students for charities, including St Nicholas Hospice, the Ben Wragge Skate Park in Thurston, the BookTrust and My Wish Charity;
- an outstanding College Production of ‘Mary Poppins Jr’;
- the Teen Tech Team winning for the third consecutive year and receiving their awards from His Royal Highness Prince Andrew, The Duke of York.
A personal highlight for me this term has been working closely with a small but incredibly dynamic group of students; our newly formed Student Leadership Team. Together, we have considered options for financial investment over the summer holidays and discussed the College Priorities for next year. The imaginative ideas, eternal optimism and creative solutions of these wonderful students will undoubtedly lead to a significantly improved experience for all of our students. I thank them most sincerely.
On a final note, I would like to take this opportunity to thank my team of dedicated staff. Their commitment, hard work and skilful ability to engage with and support young people ensures that every day, Thurston students are safe, happy and inspired to be successful.
Thank you too, parents and carers, for your ongoing support, without which the impact of our efforts would be diminished. I wish you and your families a fabulous summer break.